Tuesday 31 December 2013

Recipe 52/13 - Mini Cheese and Chive Cakes

Its the time of year where party food is everywhere (and expensive) so I wanted to have a go at making my own! After flicking through a few recipe books for inspiration and only finding complicated extravagant looking options (I'd rather spend the time/ingredient money on making a whole meal or a pudding) I settled for some mini cheese and chive cakes in my go to book - '200 Cupcakes'. They looked quick, easy and all the ingredients needed where things I already had - perfect!

You will need:

200g self-raising flour
1 tsp baking powder
pinch of salt
50g mature cheddar cheese (finely grated)
4 tbsp snipped chives
50g lightly salted butter melted)
7 tbsp milk
1 egg (beaten)

Makes 20 (I halved the recipe and found it made 6 - luckily as I only have a 6 section non-mini muffin tray!)

1. Line 20 sections of 2 x 12 section mini muffin trays with mini paper cake cases.
2. Put the flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl.
3. Stir in the cheese and chives until evenly melted.
4. Whisk together the melted butter, milk and egg with a fork in a jug and add to the bowl.
5. Stir well to form a thick paste.
6. Divide the mixture between the paper cases.
7. Bake in a preheated oven - 200C for 10-12 minutes or until risen and pale golden.
8. Transfer to a wire rack.
9. Serve warm or cold.



I don't think I would serve these as party food to anyone! Mainly because they were huge... I didn't have any mini muffin trays meaning the results are just big cheese muffins, basically worse versions of cheese scones! They were a bit on the bready side in the middle - again this could be due to their size, and definitely could have done with more cheese as they didn't have much flavour.

I would love to know if cakes made with a mini muffin tray would be any better...






No comments:

Post a Comment