Saturday 28 September 2013

Recipe 52/2 - Apple Crumble

Apple crumble is a pudding I have fond memories of making when I was little but I don't think I've actually made once since! So when I spotted some cooking apples and blackberries which didn't look like they would be around much longer, this week's recipe 52  was destined! And I always loved that crumble bit you do with your hands!




I went with apples, blackberries and cinnamon (love cinnamon!) but there must be lots of different fruits you can use in a crumble depending on the season. What are your favourite fruits to make a crumble with? It's very simple to make and quite healthy compared to most puddings (just like eating fruit right? and custard or ice cream...)






You will need:

Crumble 
112g plain flour
50g butter/margarine (I used margarine)
25g granulated sugar

Fruit
2/3 cooking apples
a handful of blackberries
1 tablespoon of cinnamon (I thought I had added a lot of cinnamon but I couldn't taste it in the crumble, next time I will add more!)

Preheat the oven to 180C

1. Peel, core and slice the apples
2. Bring apples to the boil and simmer until soft but not mushy (about 5-10 minutes)
3. While waiting for the apples, prepare the crumble
4. Measure the flour into a bowl
5. Add the margarine and sugar
6. Mix and break up the margarine
7. Rub in until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs (I like to do this bit by hand but it can also be done in a mixer)
8. Put apples in a dish
9. Add blackberries and cinnamon
10. Cover fruit with crumble
11. Sprinkle sugar over the top 
12. Bake for 30 minutes



 

No comments:

Post a Comment