Sunday 22 September 2013

Recipe 52/1 - Quiche



I am one of those people who has beautiful unused cookbooks and a folder/pinboard full of amazing recipes that I've always wanted to try making but never do so I have set myself the task of a weekly recipe project. And of course some old recipes I love that I just forget about! My first recipe is one of these.

Quiche is always something you can buy so easily and just stick in the oven I wasn't sure whether it was worth making one myself. I definitely no longer think this! A bought quiche does not even compare with the fresh creamy yumminess of a homemade one. There is a small chance this has to do with the homemade one having a whole tub of double cream… and maybe buying all the ingredients will actually cost more than buying a pre-made quiche (I still haven't worked this out…) but it is definitely worth it! Plus its actually a great 'use up whats in the fridge recipe' in terms of what you can add to it and it is surprisingly simple.

Eggs, double cream, bacon, cheese… what's not to like! 

It does require a bit of trial an error so this is my recipe for quiche, I hope it is not too vague!

You'll need…

1 onion
4 eggs
cheddar cheese
shortcrust pastry (I never get pastry right if I make it myself so instead of ruining the whole quiche I buy a sheet of shortcrust)
double cream (I use a small tub but you can use as much or as little as you want! Single cream also works just use double the amount)
salt and pepper for seasoning

things you can add to the filling - bacon, ham, sausage, mushrooms, pepper, carrot etc...
... anything you want to add really!

Preaheat the oven to 200C 

1. Fry onion and anything else you want to add in the filling.
2. Fit pastry to ceramic baking tray - I use a rectangular one but round would work too.
3. Cook pastry for 5-10 minutes so it is not soggy once ingredients are added.
4. Lightly whisk eggs in small bowl.
5. Season
6. Grate cheese into egg.
7. Add the double cream and mix in with cheese and egg.
8. Add bacon, onion etc. (make sure everything added here is pre-cooked)
9. Pour mix into pastry.
10. Cook for 20-30 minutes.

It smelt so good I didn't manage to take a decent photo of it before it all got eaten, I will on the next one!



No comments:

Post a Comment