Wednesday 29 January 2014

Recipe 52/15 - Chicken and Spinach

I found this recipe in a fictional book (of all places) - Jane Green's 'The Love Verb' (great book!) had a different recipe every chapter. Mostly vegetarian recipes (nearly all involving spinach) and while a lot of them looked a bit healthy for me some still looked interesting enough to have a go at! Although the one I chose in the end was probably the only one with meat in...




I wasn't too sure about the mix of cream, mayonnaise, curry powder and... greek yoghurt (surely only for breakfast?) but it looked quick and easy to try without much time or effort wasted if it wasn't for me! Plus I needed to have a healthy meal for a change and you can't get much healthier than two packets of spinach right?

I found it best to do the sauce by taste as I didn't want it to taste too yoghurty. Also the more breadcrumbs and curry powder the better - if you've got stale bread to make the breadcrumbs use it! 



You will need:

1 packets frozen chopped spinach, defrosted and liquid squeezed out (I used fresh)
2 chicken breasts (boneless and skinless)

seasoning: (I wouldn't take the measurements too seriously here)

1/2 medium jar mayonnaise
1/2 medium carton greek yoghurt
1/2 small carton single cream
1 tablespoon curry powder
3/4 cup breadcrumbs 

1. Preheat the oven to 175C.
2. Cover the base of a large rectangular dish with the spinach.
3. Season.
4. Place the chicken breasts on top of the spinach and add seasoning.
5. Mix together the mayonnaise, yoghurt and single cream.
6. Add more or less curry powder, according to taste.




7. Spread the mixture liberally on top of the chicken breasts and spinach until all is covered.
8. Sprinkle the top with breadcrumbs and cook for 45 minutes.

Serve with rice or potatoes!



The mayonnaise, curry powder, cream and yoghurt mixture turned out to be delicious (who knew!) and combined with the breadcrumbs, chicken and spinach it made a great meal. Definitely one I will be doing again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment