Saturday 16 November 2013

Recipe 52/9 - Fried Mozzarella Sandwich

I was looking for a quick recipe this week (I think there may be a few more of these coming up with all the Christmas fair madness at this time of year) and this looked perfect for an indulgent lunch - like french toast with cheese. I love french toast and adding the mozzarella brings it out of breakfast territory, like I need an excuse to have french toast for two meals (or eggy bread as I used to call it when I was younger)!

This is an Italian recipe though (Mozzarella in Carrozza) so it has a few differences such as dipping the bread in milk and flour. 

I think my hopes were too high for this as it wasn't as good as I was expecting, I guess mozzarella doesn't have much flavour. With cheddar instead and maybe some slices of tomato thrown in I think this would be better! 




You will need:

about 4tbsp milk
4 thick slices country bread
2 large slices mozzarella
plain flour (to dust)
salt
3 eggs beaten (I only needed 1!)
olive oil (for shallow frying)

Serves 2

1. Pour the milk into a bowl.
2. Dip the slices of bread into the milk for a few seconds, but do not soak them - they don't want to be too wet.
3. Place a slice of mozzarella on two of the bread slices.
4. Place the other two slices of bread on top of the cheese to make the sandwiches.
5. Dip both sandwiches first into some flour seasoned with salt, then into the beaten eggs and leave for the mixture to be absorbed on both sides.
6. Pour enough oil into a frying pan to cover the base generously and heat gently.
7. Shallow-fry the sandwiches in the hot olive oil until golden, about 5 minutes per side.
8. Serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment